Monday, March 5, 2012

Some Things Should Never be Outdated

I'll warn you right now...this is going to be one of my old fogey, politically incorrect posts.  I don't post these very often....but every once in a while you just have to let it out.

There are some things that should never, ever go out of style.

Women with Curves and Femininity.

Common Sense.

Chocolate and Butter.
(Not necessarily at the same time.......but maybe... not necessarily ...not.)

or how about Etiquette and Propriety?

Etiquette: "the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life"

Propriety: "The customs and manners of polite society."

I mean really!

Let me go back.....

Last week, I was getting ready to head out and do my "pay day shopping." I had showered, gotten dressed, fixed my hair, and was putting on a pair of earrings when something dawned on me.

Some people might think I was dressing up to go to the commissary.

And you know....maybe I was.

We live in a small community. I often run into people I know, people that know my husband, people that read my blog, people I have had interactions with through my volunteer work.  In other words, going out in public is not an anonymous thing. And there's nothing wrong with that.

But I do run into people that work with my husband. And you know, I don't want to run into those people looking like I just rolled out of bed. Wearing pajamas and slippers.

When did pajamas and slippers ever become acceptable public attire?

When did showing your cleavage down to your belly button become acceptable?

Ladies.....I'm laying it down right here.

Agree with me or not.

Agree with the concept or not.

Think it's outdated.....whatever.

You represent your husband.

Yes. I just went there.

If you are walking around the town, dressed like a _____ and people that your husband works with see you....what will it say?  Honestly!?  It says,

"That man has questionable taste." 

"That man has poor judgement."

And if they question his judgment in his personal can have an effect on how they view his judgment in other things....maybe even work-related.

It's human nature.

I'm not saying you can't go to the store wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Not at all.

But pajamas??!!

And another aren't just representing your husband.

You are representing All of Us!

If you go to Walmart and you are dressed like a "you know what" it gives all of us a bad name.

Don't you think there are enough stereotypes out there about us Military Wives?

Source: Google images

Mean and UNTRUE stereotypes? 

How about these:

Military wives all cheat on their husbands.
Military wives are all uneducated and ignorant.
Military wives are lazy.
Military wives are unreliable.
Military wives are rude and think they're entitled.
Military wives are........ You fill in the blank, because you KNOW you have heard some, or been face-to-face with ones you have had to overcome.

Why would you do such a disservice to your sisters behind the yellow ribbons? Don't we have enough challenges in life to overcome?

What about your own image?

Don't you value yourself more than that? Aren't YOU worth it?

And it may not seem fair. You may think that people shouldn't be judged by how they dress.....but again...human nature.

Don't believe me?  Watch a few episodes of TLC's  "What Not to Wear."

I digress.....

So last week I was talking to someone I work with in one of my volunteer jobs about this very subject.

He smiled at me and handed me this book.

But I'm going to share that with you at a later time.......