Monday, August 8, 2011

This Year's Homeschool Curriculum

I thought I would take a moment to share with you what curriculum we are going to be using this year.

This year I have only two students, since Jennifer has now graduated.

Jack will be an "8th grader" .....and really, it takes me a moment to remember that because grades aren't a real big deal for this homeschooling family. When I pulled the kids out of public school, they were behind the standard academic levels they should have been in, particularly in Math. So I select curriculum that is on their level, not their "grade."

This is some of what we will be using for Jack this year.

For Math - Teaching Textbooks, Level 6.

For his Social Studies - A Beka's "America: Land that I Love."

For English - Grammar & Composition II - also by A Beka.

For Science - Exploring Creation with Physical Science from Apologia Science

He will also be doing a "Health" version - Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology also by Apologia Science

Those are the core subjects for Jack.

Joshua will be an 11th Grader this year. Oy! Here are the basics of what he will be using.

For English - Easy Grammar Plus

I have never used Easy Grammar Plus before. While I was in the process of deciding what to use for Joshua this year, a couple I know gave this to me. They had originally bought it to homeschool their grandson, but then didn't need it after all. I sat down and looked through it, and it looks to be a good curriculum, so we are going to give it a try.

His math will be Teaching Textbooks, Algebra

His social studies this year will be from two sets, one for each semester. The first semester, he will be doing a study of the US Constitution. "The Story of the Constitution" is from Christian Liberty Press. The videos are supplemental.

In the second half of the year, he will be doing a study on geography using World Geography from A Beka.

Joshua's science this year will be...Biology! My favorite!!!! He will be using Exploring Creation with Biology by Apologia Science.

And finally, his last core subject will be German 2! We use Rosetta Stone - the Homeschool Edition.

These are the basics of our up-coming school year.

In another post, I will review how I do my lesson planning and organization.

A Beka
Christian Liberty Press
Apologia Science
Easy Grammar
Teaching Textbooks
Rosetta Stone - Homeschool