Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kitchen Remodel....Army Wife Style

Something you learn, being an army wife, is to get creative when it comes to ways to decorate your home. What you do has to be temporary, because you are likely to be living in military housing, or renting.

Years ago, when we lived in Germany, I learned a trick from my neighbor. I mentioned this back when we moved here last year....and if you forgot the hideous institutional PINK kitchen counters I have....well...you are about to see them again.

I decided it was time for a change...the green was about to go, as it was starting to show some wear.




So, time to clear off the counter, and pull off the old contact paper.



There it is. Shield your eyes!!!! That hideous and depressing PINK!

The HORROR!



Here we go...something new!


I decided to go with something a little whimsical this time.


I start by measuring the counters, and begin cutting sections.


Once I measure one, I'll use it to mark more sections, so I can easily cut them the same length.


Now I know that with this lighting, it looks like some of the dots are the same color as the counter, but believe me they are not! Just brown, NOT pink.

Begin placing it along the wall edge of the counter, and slowly pull the paper backing off from underneath, rubbing the contact paper smooth as you go. If you get a wrinkle, lift it up and place again. Take your time. Once you get this done, it'll last a year or more.


It's looking better already!


When you get to the sink, just layer the contact paper over the edge of the sink a little.


Then take a scissor edge or exacto knife and run it along the edge of the sink.


Then just peel off the excess.


Here is what I started out with earlier...


And this is what it looks like now.


Contact paper comes in all sorts of colors and designs. You can have something that looks like wood or marble, or you could go with something bright and colorful. You can find this product in the storage area of a department store, usually near laundry room supplies or storage containers. You can also find it at Home Depot or Lowes.

The great part about this, is it is a very inexpensive project, and when it is time to PCS...it comes off in minutes!

What creative ways have you come up with to decorate or "remodel" in a removable fashion?