Monday, July 25, 2011

Military Monday Meet & Greet



This week's Military Spouse is Lora!





What branch of the military are you associated with?
GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

How long have you been military?

Almost 7 years

Tell us a little about yourself:
I am a Registered Nurse, Mom to 4 kids, and wife to one amazing Army Man. I have found blogging to be very therapeutic during deployments, but I really love my blog right now and hope to keep writing regularly even though my husband returned home in March 2011 at the end of a year in Iraq.

Tell us a little about your family:
Edo is the oldest child. He is nearly 12 and really the best big brother a kid could hope for. He is doing great in middle school, but I don't write about him too much because I don't want to embarrass him. Pudah is nearly 9 (they both have summer birthdays!) and going in to 3rd grade. He is sweet and wild and fun and sensitive. I also don't write about him much, cause he's a complicated kid but he adds so much love to our family! Bug is our only girl, she is 4 and a total princess-diva. I am glad she has all these brothers to look after her when she's a teenager! Baby Man is 18 months and the apple of everyone's eye. Total baby of the family, someone is always carrying him around, bringing him a toy, or trying to make him laugh. We are also currently pursuing the adoption of a child from overseas. He is 3 years old and his "name" (not his real name) is Tanner. We are very excited about this next chapter in growing our family, and cannot wait to have him home.



My husband is the most kind, wise, and hard-working person I have ever known. He gives thoughtful counsel, he is slow to anger, non-judgmental, and if there is a job to do you can bet he will be first in line to get it done. He inspires me every day to try and be a better person. I couldn't ask for a better husband or for a better father for our children.

I am an RN. I work very part time for a staffing agency, and it rocks! I get to make my own schedule, and the kids get to miss me a little bit which is good for everyone. Can't take Mama for granted!

We have been through 2 year long deployments, Afghanistan in 2008 and Iraq in 2010. I was terrified when I got married in to the Army that I would not be able to handle deployments, but I found them both to be opportunities for us to grow as individuals, as a married couple, and as a family. No, that doesn't mean it was "fun", but the things we learn the most from rarely are and I am grateful to have been able to have the experiences we have had. It makes us appreciate everything so much more.

What are your hobbies and interests?
Writing. That's probably obvious. Reading, I love my nurse magazines and seeing how much medicine continues to advance and change. My husband has spent the greater part of the last 6 years trying to get me interested in the outdoors, hiking and camping and it may finally be taking hold. More recently I have become pretty obsessed with the plight of international orphans through our journey to adoption. I am still trying to figure out where I can fit in that big puzzle beyond adopting our little boy. I am hoping to find a role in advocacy for adoption of special needs children.

What do you love to blog about?
Oh, the crazy stuff my kids do. How much I love my husband. What being a part of the big Army family means to me. Adoption. And random everyday stuff that make people laugh.

What is your favorite part of Military Life?
My favorite part would have to be the pride we all feel in giving something to our country. Each of us has made sacrifices for my husband to serve, and it is something that I believe will truly shape my children's future and how they view the world and their place in it. I think the experience of being a military family makes you find strengths you didn't know you had, and I love that.

What is your least favorite part of Military Life?
Saying goodbye. Actually, watching my kids have to say goodbye. It honestly feels like your heart is breaking, and it is a pain you cannot take away or do anything about. The fact that my daughter still asks in the morning "Did Daddy go to far away work, or is he coming home today?" even after he has been home 4 months really shows the impact that it has had on them.



What piece of advice would you give to a new military spouse?
Get involved, make some "been there done that" army wife friends, and don't be afraid to ask questions! The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. There is a lot to know an understand, so don't feel bad if after a year (or two, or six!) that you still feel clueless sometimes. We are really all in this together, and there is always someone two steps ahead of you and two steps behind you so reach forward for advice and backwards to support others. There is no way to sugar coat it, some of the military life does totally suck. But I do believe that the good far outweighs the bad, and if you are willing to look for that silver lining you can make it in to an amazing life.

Tell us one random, or unusual thing about yourself.
I gave birth to our fourth child, at home, under the care of a nurse midwife. It is legal in the state where I live, and I was due to give birth during that big "swine flu" scare when everyone was predicting the hospitals would be overrun with infected people. I chose to give birth at home, at it was an awesome experience. Even my husband said he wished we had done it this way before! Here is a link to my blog post about the experience. My Home Birth Story There is a link in that post to a video that was featured on momversation.com if you want to hear me TALK about that experience (nothing gross or inappropriate, I promise! Totally family friendly!)


Stop by and show Lora some MilSpouse support!



***


Would you like to be interviewed for Military Mondays?



E-mail me at MrsMamaHen(at)gmail.com and I will send you the interview form, or if you would like to get a head start - you can go HERE ... copy the interview questions and go ahead and e-mail your responses to me at MrsMamaHen(at)gmail.com
Don't forget to include a few pictures! (JPG images are preferred.)

Thanks!