Monday, July 4, 2011

Military Monday Meet & Greet




This week's Military Spouse is....Olivia!




Tell me a little about yourself:
My name is Olivia, and I’m an Army wife/ singer/ songwriter stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. I consider my musical style indie/ folk rock, written from a Christian worldview perspective. I’ve been married to the military for almost 10 years, and I have two children and one rambunctious boxer.

What are your goals with your music? How do they fit into your life as a military spouse?
As a devoted Army wife, I understand all too well what it means to play second fiddle to my husband’s career. But, I am grateful for the gift of music and its inherent portability. I am hopeful that no matter where the Army sends me, I will find like-minded musicians who will jam along with me. At Schofield Barracks, I have found my home at the Main Post Chapel where I sing and play guitar with the praise team. With the support of the Chapel community, I have truly blossomed as a musician. In fact, the first time I performed solo was for a group of ladies at the Schofield Barracks PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel).

It took a great deal of courage to stand before those women with nothing but a microphone, a guitar and a song. But, I believe that was the day my music career was born.

I will continue to produce music and perform as much as possible as my husband continues his career in the Army. My only hope is that our future duty station is as magical as my beloved Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. I have been extremely blessed by the time I have spent here.


What inspired you to start writing songs?
A couple of years ago, I announced to a group of ladies at PWOC that the desire of my heart was to perform original music. I loved playing my guitar and singing, but I didn’t think I had a gift for songwriting, so I only performed cover songs. I spent too much time judging myself and comparing myself to others until I finally decided to stop listening to my inner critic and just go for it. Last year, I wrote my first song, “Picture of Your Face,” and I recorded and produced it at home on my Mac. Once I proved to myself that I was a capable songwriter, it became much easier to let the music flow.

Today, my inspiration comes from the observations of my daily life. Songwriting has become the creative outlet for my thoughts, emotions, questions of life, times of loneliness, and even my boredom. When the husband and kids are away, when the house is empty, when there is nothing good to watch on TV, I can always pick up my guitar and see where the music takes me.

Your song, “Drive These Blues Away,” won 2nd place in the 2011
USAA Garage Band Playoff (www.garagebandplayoff.com). Tell me
the story of how you wrote “Drive These Blues Away.”

I struggled for about a month to come up with a song for the USAA Garage Band Playoff. The song had to be about one of two topics – either the comforts of home or the joys of driving. One week before the deadline, I still had not come up with a song, so I threw in the towel and decided not to enter the competition.
That night, I sat down to play around with some other song ideas. I came up with a melody on my guitar, and I thought about the frustrations of a long workweek followed by the relief of a leisurely weekend drive. So, “Drive These Blues Away” came to me that night, and I produced the entire song in less than a week.

What is next for your music now that the USAA competition is over?
I am currently working with a music producer in Honolulu, Hawaii… Within the next few weeks, we’ll get into the studio and start production work on several new songs for my first EP. I am really excited about this project because all of my previous songs were recorded and produced in my home studio (a.k.a. “storage closet”), so I’m looking forward to the excellent quality that comes from professional production work. My title song is dedicated to military wives everywhere, and my big goal is to get the song aired on Lifetime TV. * Fingers crossed! *

Stay tuned for an EP release later this year, and thanks so much for allowing me to share my music with you…. :)

Where can we find you on the web?
You can find me at all the following places – Visit my website, “Like” me on facebook or “Follow” me on twitter @OliviaBlueMusic

Stop by and show this creative MilSpouse some support!
* Olivia's photos were taken by LauraLeandra.com


***

Would you like to be interviewed for Military Mondays?



E-mail me at MrsMamaHen(at)gmail.com and I will send you the interview form, or if you would like to get a head start - you can go HERE ... copy the interview questions and go ahead and e-mail your responses to me at MrsMamaHen(at)gmail.com
Don't forget to include a few pictures! (JPG images are preferred.)

Thanks!