Sunday, May 29, 2011

flip flops - times two

Those of you that read MMH on a regular basis, know that I am not a "product review" blogger. So this is not the typical post you will see here, but I want to take a moment to introduce something to you.



The other day, I made my All Day Ribs again, and the recipe calls for red wine.

Something that people often wonder about when it comes to cooking with wine, is what kind to use. Well, I learned a long time ago, that if a wine isn't good enough to drink, it really isn't good enough to cook with. Some wines are so bad, they are more like vinegar than wine...and if the recipe called for vinegar, it would have said vinegar.

But here is the other thing....when it comes to cooking with wine, you really don't want to spend a fortune on the wine you are going to cook either.

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by flipflop wines, and they asked me if they sent me a couple bottles, would I be willing to try them out and give my thoughts. I said I would.

So the other day, when I made my ribs, I used the flipflop California Pinot Noir.

The wine had a very nice scent and flavor. The Pinot Noir is a fairly dry wine, which is not what I prefer for drinking (I know, I know a sommelier would be doing flip flops over that statement.........pun intended....but I just prefer sweeter wines. Probably because of my many years in the south, around things like Muscadine wine.) So their Washington Reisling is ideal for me.

In any case, the wine was perfect for the ribs, and the flavor was great!

flipflop wines has a variety of wines though, some dry, some sweet, some red, some white. So whatever your preference, you are likely to find something to enjoy.

But there are two other positive points I want to make about flipflop wines. First, they are not a pricey wine, so you don't have to cry when you open your wallet, or use a whole bottle of it for a Beef Daube.

The second thing is this. I am a supporter of Compassion International, and have a "daughter" named Jeniffer in Kenya. Like CI, there is another great organization out there.

In 2011, flipflop wines, has partnered with Soles4Souls.org to help provide shoes to children in developing nations around the world. Something as simple as a pair of shoes, can protect a child from serious injuries, infections or worse.


For every bottle of flipflop wine that is purchased, a pair of shoes is donated to Soles4Souls!


So not only can you enjoy the wine, you can also know that you are helping make a difference in a child's life. What could be better than that?