Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas in Ice

Yesterday, it was a chilly -22 degrees (which was an improvement from the negative 30s we have been seeing) so my daughter and I headed to North Pole, to visit the Christmas in Ice display. It was "Military Appreciation Day" and we had free admittance for being military.


Approaching the entrance, these were on display outside.







Just inside was Mr. & Mrs. Claus' seats. They weren't there, so I took advantage.



The free admission was being sponsored by BP.



There were ice sculptures everywhere. Some were just for looking at, but some were for playing on. This was one of several slides.



A Nativity in Ice.



This slide was for riding sleds down.



I couldn't resist, Jen and I both had to go for a ride.



The entrance to the Ice Maze.





Oh Hey! There's Santa, giving rides on his.......Sleigh?



Then on to the displays. Each sculpture had a board telling of the creator. This one was of a guy from Wisconsin, a fellow cheddar-head.





This was the winning sculpture.





But there were many lovely sculptures to enjoy.









Why, don't mind if I do!



My ice cube of a daughter.



I loved this one.







This was another favorite of mine.





And I will leave you with these lovely pictures.





Merry Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

The Last Frontier said...

Sounds like you had a fun day. Those ice sculptures are neat! I've never been in town when things like that are going on.
How are you liking Alaska? Seems like you got here right about the time our computer died. We got a new one and I finally started blogging again, although I've left HomeschoolBlogger. My new one here at Blogspot has the same name, though. Hope you'll stop by as I catch up on life in the bush.
I'm looking forward to catching up on goings on with you! I have a link to your blog on mine as a reminder to visit. :)
Take care,
Jenny

~Tonia said...

Loved the pictures! I had to show my kids!!

Mary said...

I would love to be able to see these...they look amazing...

I hope to one day in my life be able to visit Alaska