Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Aurora Borealis

Well, I was just about to go to bed, when my phone rang. It was my hubby who is on nights tonight. His work is .99 of a mile (as the crow flies) from our house.

He was calling to tell me the Northern Lights were out again, and that I had to look.

So I grabbed my camera, threw on a jacket, and ran out the door.

My feet hit the sidewalk, I looked up.

And gasped.

I thought they were amazing the other night when we saw it for the first time, but this covered the sky over our house and looked so low and bright, that it seemed you could reach up and touch it.

I ran up stairs and woke the kids up....again....and ran back outside. If they wanted to see them, they were on their own.

As we watched, you could see them moving and swirling and almost dancing in the sky.

You could see portions flickering like they were laughing, and other areas fading and brightening.

I have decided that I must get a tripod for my camera. It is very hard to hold a camera perfectly still for a long shutter speed, when it is 25 degrees and you are in pajamas.

And now I am off to bed. Hickory is giving me "the look."

Hey! Fox & Friends is about to come on....LIVE!

Okay, okay Hickory. The DVR is set.

I'm coming.