Saturday, July 17, 2010

PCS Progress, and a fun trip to Virginia

Yesterday morning, we roused our tired tookusses up at 3am, downed a cup of coffee, and hit the road.

About 4 and a half hours later, we arrived in Portsmouth, Virginia.


(I didn't bring my camera on this trip, because of what we had planned. I brought my husband's little pocket camera, and I honestly didn't take many pictures. The camera spent most of the day in a locker....You'll see why.)


The agenda for today, was taking Jeff's truck to the port, to be shipped to Alaska. The first thing we did, was give the truck a quick wash, because everything has to be "just so" when you ship a vehicle.



Then we headed to this place just down the road.


We spent about an hour there, and pulled out of the parking lot minus one vehicle.

Then we headed north.


Driving on I-664, the Chesapeake Bay.


One the other side, massive ships.


And into the tunnel that goes under the bay.




Passing this sign brought back lots of memories. This was our very first duty station right after Jeff and I got married 19 years ago. We were stationed here for 2 years, and our daughter was born here.



Our destination......




Our Mission......




And very unlike the unfortunate "Oktoberfest" incident.....(you can revisit the horror here).......we had a blast. This was the first time that this neglectful homeschool parent took her children to an amusement park. The first ride we hit, was the "Loch Ness Monster" roller coaster. My daughter was able to spend some time with an old friend, who years ago, lived in NC. Then he moved to the midwest, and now lives just down the road there in Virginia. So he came and hang out for the day.



The boys as they completed their very first roller-coaster ride. The look on Jack's face was priceless. We failed to mention before hand that the front seats were the scariest. Oops.


Here is where I put my camera, along with all the other belongings in the locker.

But my daughter got this lovely picture of herself, her friend, and a new mutual friend.


At the end of the day.


After we left the park, we made the long trip home...5 hours later arriving at our front door at 12:25am. It was so strange not seeing the truck in its parking spot.


And I will leave you with this beauty.