Sunday, June 27, 2010

Garden-Style Pasta Sauce

With the abundance of tomatoes coming from my garden, I thought I would take a bunch of these...


And turn them into pasta sauce.

First you need to de-skin and de-seed a bunch of tomatoes. I used about 14 medium-sized tomatoes. Use less if you have big ones. I didn't think to document the process, but it is very simple. You need a pot of boiling water, a large bowl of ice water, another bowl with a sieve (fine metal strainer), and a slotted spoon.

Drop the tomatoes into the rapidly-boiling water for 1 minute, and then remove with the slotted spoon, placing them directly into the ice water. Some of the tomatoes may have the skin split, that is good. Originally, I read to wait until that happens, but if your tomatoes have tough skins, you may cook your tomatoes to mush long before that happens.

When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, cut one in half, and slide the skin right off.

Then place the sieve over a bowl, and squeeze the tomato. The seeds will come right out. Use your finger to "scoop" if you need to. Put the tomato in another bowl. Repeat with all. Discard the skins & seeds.

When you are done, add the tomato juice from the bowl under the sieve, to the bowl of tomatoes. So now you will have a bowl of tomatoes and their juice, with no skins or seeds.



Now, your first step... chop up 1 onion, 2 carrots, 1 bell pepper, and finely mince 6 cloves of garlic.


In a dutch oven, or large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil.


You are also going to add 2 tablespoons of butter....and then the veggies.


This is me almost forgetting to add the butter.


Cook the veggies until the onions soften.

Meanwhile, take about 3/4 of the tomatoes, and give them a wizz in a blender.


Add them to the pot.


Add two stalks of celery, simply cut in half.


Coursely chop the remaining tomatoes, and add them to the sauce.


You are going to add about 2 Tb dry basil, or 1/4 c fresh. I have TONS of basil dried and still growing in my garden. After I dry the plants, I simply pull off all the leaves, and toss them in a jar. When I need the basil, I just grab some leaves, rub them between the palms of my hands, and instant "chopped" dry basil.




Add 1 tsp dry oregano leaves (or 1 Tb fresh)


1 Bay leaf.


2 Tb tomato paste.


And something else that I add, but with the red-on-red the picture just wouldn't turn out.....1/2 cup red wine (burgundy or cooking)

Then bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to VERY low, and put a lid on it. Simmer for 4 hours. Once in a while, give it a stir. Afterwards, discard the bay leaf and celery, and you are done.

Beautiful spaghetti sauce is what is left.


To finish, I simply stirred in some cooked ground beef, and served on cooked pasta.

(My menfolk are carnivores....Must. Have. Meat.)

Enjoy!



Printable Version: Garde-Style Pasta Sauce