Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Chocolate Coffee Creamer

I love coffee.  And I really love coffee with flavored coffee creamer.  But, have you looked at the ingredients on the bottle of this yummy stuff?  It is scary!  Now, my favorite coffee creamer, is the chocolate flavored ones.  So I got to thinking about how I could make my own healthy version.  This is what I came up with, and it is even better than the stuff in the cold cases at the store! (I think :-) )






My Chocolate Coffee Creamer

* 1 c heavy cream

* 1 c milk (as a short cut, you can buy a pint of half and half instead of milk and cream, I buy organic)

* 1/2 c baking cocoa

* 1 1/2 c organic white sugar (this could probably be replaced with something else, but I haven't experimented with it)

* a pinch of salt

* 1 tsp vanilla

In a medium saucepan, mix together the cocoa, sugar and salt. Pour in the milk and cream (or half and half). Stir well. Turn the heat on medium and very slowly bring it not quite to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk or heat-resistant rubber scraper . You want everything completely dissolved. When it just barely starts to bubble on the edges of the saucepan, not quite boiling,*** remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, stirring for another 20 seconds or so. Allow the mixture to cool a bit, stirring periodically. Pour into a container and store it in your refrigerator. You can adjust the "chocolateyness" by increasing or reducing the amount of cocoa. I store mine in a salad dressing carafe. It only holds about half the batch, but it is easy to pour. The other half I store in a jar with a lid, and just pour the jar into the carafe when that is emptied.

I plan on experimenting in the future with some other flavors, and will post successful results.

(Hint, hint.....this might be very good on some icecream too!)

(P.S. In "healthier" I meant real ingredients, not low-fat! LOL)

***I actually altered these instructions, as I used to have the mixture boiled for a minute. But this caused a problem. If the mixture boiled too long, we ended up with a VERY thick substance, that could barely even be poured. By not boiling it, but simply dissolving everything, it works just fine, and stays a pourable consistency.