RECIPE: Chocolate Pie
The dog biscuits are baking, the peanut butter cookie dough is chilling, and I thought I would post the recipe to the chocolate pie my daughter requested for her birthday last year. This recipe is probably as "old as dirt" and I have seen it everywhere with one name or another, slight variations here and there, but this is the one I use:
1 c sugar
1/2 c baking cocoa
3 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
2 c. milk
2 beaten egg yolks
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 baked 9" pie shell
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks, and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, corn starch and salt. Stir in milk and begin to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Allow to boil for 1 minute and remove from heat. You will need to "temper" the eggs before adding them to the pan. This can be a little tricky. (If you just add the eggs to the pan, you will have scrambled eggs in your chocolate sauce!)
- With a large ladle, scoop some of the hot sauce (about a cup or so) and pour it into the eggs while beating the eggs with the other hand. Mix it together well, and pour it back into the pan.
- Return pan to heat, and cook one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla, stirring until butter is melted and all is mixed smooth.
- Pour sauce into pie shell. Allow to cool to room temperature and then cover and place in refrigerator to chill.